Join one of the UK's most talented and well travelled artists on the 'The Road to Damascus' - to the Cradle of Civilisation & land of a Thousand and One Nights
As one of the oldest civilisations in the world, home to the Biblical rivers Euphrates and Orontes and the birthplace of the alphabet, SYRIA is a must for painters seeking new and inspiring material and a sublime cultural experience.
On this unique painting holiday you will be spending quality painting time in the oldest inhabited citadels of Damascus and Aleppo, which have an abundance of compelling sights and sustain the romantic notion of The Orient. Travelling between theses two cities you’ll spend some time in Hama; famous for its norias – the largest wooden waterwheels in the world and for its proximity to traditional ‘beehive’ villages.
LUCY WILLIS is renowned for her ability to capture light and atmosphere, as portrayed in her latest book Travels in Watercolour (Harper Collins & Batsford). She is an artist who travels the world in pursuit of unique subjects and Syria has long been on her wish list. Lucy will be working alongside you and will provide impromptu demonstrations when appropriate. She works spontaneously – savouring the moment as you first experience it. Individual guidance will be offered when necessary but students who are comfortable working on their own and learning by example will be best suited to this free-style of painting holiday.
Everything is included (except some lunches) and organised for you by an accompanying programme co-ordinator from the UK, providing you with peace of mind and enabling you and Lucy to concentrate solely on painting.
In Damascus and Aleppo you will be staying in small charming hotels in the citadels themselves, so that the best painting subjects are literally on your doorstep. Scheduled flights are in to Damascus and out of Aleppo minimising the amount of time spent travelling.
Just 10 – 14 people will be joining Lucy Willis.
The price is £2,895 per person fully inclusive (except for some lunches).
Single room supplement is £500.
complete our enquiry form
- Painting the Arctic Wilderness and Northern Lights with Hazel Soan - August 2018
- New Big Painting Challenge with Lachlan Goudie
- Meet leading Royal Academician Ken Howard on 18 January 2017
- Syria remembered by a group of artists - Painting in Syria 2010
- IUCN Red List of Threatened Species - Polar Bears (Ursus maritimus)
- Hoi An - A melting pot of history, architecture, colour and cooking.
- Tigers in Satpura, Bandhavgarh & Kanha, India with Stephen Mills
- Brown Bears & Golden Eagles with naturalist & wildlife researcher Stephen Mills
- Polar Bears and Arctic Wildlife with Stephen Mills MA (Oxon)