Steve Leonard is a veterinary surgeon and TV presenter.
He comes from a family of vets and has his own practice in the UK and is passionate about helping the survival of African Wild Dogs – an endangered species. He is Patron of Painted Dog Conservation and Wildlife Vets International. Most importantly Steve is not just a ‘name’ for these worthwhile organisations, he is actively working out in the field as a vet protecting wild animals.
Steve was born in Eniskillen, Northern Ireland in 1972. At 6 weeks old the family moved to Cheshire, England . He gained a place at Bristol Vet School and in his last year, the college was approached by the BBC to make a ‘docu-soap’ with final year vet students. Steve was one of the students the BBC decided to follow. The result was the successful ‘Vet School’, and was followed by ‘Vets in Practice.’
Steve was then asked to travel around Southern and Eastern Africa where he worked alongside Wildlife Vets to make the popular series, ‘Vets in the Wild.’
His very down to earth approach and caring character made him an instant star and he was next asked to present ‘Ultimate Killers’, which saw Steve get up close and personal with all manner of creatures. A book accompanied this programme and featured Steve’s photographs, as he says, “for the first time.”
More TV series followed including Vets in the Wild West, Steve Leonard’s Extreme Animals, Orangutan Diary and Safari Vet School. He is currently presenting the popular ‘Wonder of Dogs’ programme on BBC2, Thursday at 8pm.
Being that ‘vet on the telly’ has not distracted Steve from his passion for caring for the animals at his own veterinary practice and for his work with Kate Humble at Wildlife Vets International and Peter Blinston in Zimbabwe at Painted Dog Conservation.
View our Exclusive expert-led safaris
complete our enquiry form
- New Masai Mara Safari Departure - 26 June - 2 July 2017
- Two New Artists for 2018
- Painting the Arctic Wilderness and Northern Lights with Hazel Soan - August 2018
- Syria remembered by a group of artists - Painting in Syria 2010
- IUCN Red List of Threatened Species - Polar Bears (Ursus maritimus)
- Hoi An - A melting pot of history, architecture, colour and cooking.
- Brown Bears & Golden Eagles with naturalist & wildlife researcher Stephen Mills
- Polar Bears and Arctic Wildlife with Stephen Mills MA (Oxon)
- Special Masai Mara Safari with Jackson Looseyia