Lucy Willis is a full time professional artist living in the West Country. She trained at Ruskin School of Drawing and Fine Art, Oxford. In 1981 she won a Bockingford International Watercolour Award, and with it, travelled to paint in Italy.
She is renowned for her ability to capture light and atmosphere, as portrayed in her books Light in Watercolour and Travels in Watercolour (Harper Collins, 1997). She exhibits regularly in London and at her own studio. Lucy has a diverse and rich portfolio to offer. She won the BP Portrait Award at the National Portrait Gallery in 1992 for her portrait of prison inmates, entitled, ‘At Her Majesty’s Pleasure’, and became Artist in Residence at Shepton Mallet Prison in Somerset, (until 1993).
Lucy is an intrepid traveller and is always seeking unique and new subject matter. Whilst she likes to learn about destinations and in particular the history and culture of the local people and their lives, she likes to paint and be inspired by the moment.
Lucy has been hosting painting holidays for Spencer Scott Travel for over 20 years. She is a fast and prolific painter and teaches by example focusing on demonstrations and group critique sessions. You are encouraged to work alongside her or on your own, which best suits intermediate and professional artists. Destinations have included Kashmir, The Yemen, China, India, Egypt, Morocco, Tunisia, Syria, Spain, France and Greece.
Working with Lucy Willis is always a great pleasure with the opportunity to expand students horizons in exciting and exotic destinations. She is an excellent host and students benefit from learning much from her.
To learn more about Lucy Willis click here
View our Painting holidays with professional artists
complete our enquiry form
- New Wildebeest Migration Safari with Jackson Looseyia 4 - 9 August 2018
- Patrick Cullen's Solo Shows this Autumn
- Lachlan Goudie on BBC4 29 Aug 9pm
- What it is really like to paint alongside Peter Brown - 'Pete The Street'
- Syria remembered by a group of artists - Painting in Syria 2010
- IUCN Red List of Threatened Species - Polar Bears (Ursus maritimus)
- Wolf Conservation Expedition, Ethiopia
- Whales, Rails and Quails.... in Sri Lanka with David Lindo
- Indian Tiger Exclusive with Stephen Mills