Pete Hawkins is a professional walking leader, navigation teacher, writer and accomplished amateur photographer.
His outdoor career started in The Peak National Park and through a long affiliation with Spencer Scott Travel as our professional walking leader he has explored far and distant trails.
We have been working with Pete for over 20 years. He has led small parties of walkers for us amidst the most sublime scenery on earth. Pete is always up for a challenge and discovering new routes. He is very experienced in assessing trails on maps without a scale or contours and the abilities of members in the party, decifering vague descriptions of routes by local guides, and setting a pace and distance that is comfortable for a range of abilities within a group. His relaxed and caring manner means there is never any pressure on walkers. The pleasure is all in the absorbing the maganificent scenery and local culture. There is always much laughter and fun along the route too.
Pete has led walking holidays for us to Iceland, Greenland, Crete, Germany, Slovakia, USA, Canada, Cuba, South Africa, Bali, China, Peru, New Zealand, Nepal, Mustang, Bhutan and Sikkim. All amazing and stunningly beautidul but the place that has had the most profound effect on Pete is Nepal & Mustang. His passion for this Himalayan Kingdom and it’s people is genuine and he has a constant desire to return here. Pete befittingly welcomed the new Millennium in, with a small party of our guests, on a mountainside with a glass of champagne watching the sun rise over Mt Everest – what a perfect and beautiful reflective moment and memory for them all.
He runs The Silva Navigation School which teaches navigation skills to outdoor enthusiasts – walkers, horse riders, mountain bikers and fell runners.
Pete has written three books for the outdoor book publishers Cicerone and contributed to many outdoor magazines including Country Walking Magazine.
To learn more about Pete Hawkins and to view his photographs of Nepal and Mustang click here
Current Trips with Pete Hawkins
complete our enquiry form
- Ethiopian Wolf Conservation Expedition 2017
- Richard Pikesley PNEAC RWS London Exhibition 2 - 26 November 2017
- New Wildebeest Migration Safari with Jackson Looseyia 4 - 9 August 2018
- What it is really like to paint alongside Peter Brown - 'Pete The Street'
- Syria remembered by a group of artists - Painting in Syria 2010
- IUCN Red List of Threatened Species - Polar Bears (Ursus maritimus)
- Whales, Rails and Quails.... in Sri Lanka with David Lindo
- Indian Tiger Exclusive with Stephen Mills
- Wildebeest Migration in the Masai Mara with Jackson Looseyia